There's not a real reason for this, other than hoping to keep myself a bit focused, and also to keep my knitting basket from going chaotic.
(Actually, I'm a fairly ordered, organized person, at least for my job profile. People are perpetually amazed at how neat my office is at school--there's much more of a norm of the crazy, messy professor than the relatively neat one. I'm just like, I've got a huge file cabinet, so why not use it?)
So, I finished off my Noro socks this week. For those of you who aren't knitters, Noro's a cool Japanese company that's particularly famous for deep colors and self-striping capabilities. And they just came out with sock yarn (i.e., a thinner weight yarn than any they've produced before). It's kind of a big deal--or at least a deal that people (knitters) are paying attention to.
I bought some, and in particular a colorway that screamed spring to me. The pinky purples, the greens... lovely.
The sock pattern is more or less the broadripple pattern, here. Except I added in some ribbing. And knit them from the bottom up. And I gave them different toes, meant to fix my toes poking through problem.
Basically, it looks like this on the other side, with the cables swirling the ribs a bit. And it's just going on like this for a long time, until it makes a long rectangular shawl. It's exactly the semi-mindless, semi-thoughtful knitting I'm in the mood for right now, as classes end and the term comes to a close.
The yarn is the black alpaca I bought from Laura before I left Colorado that has tried to be various other things. Like, first it was going to be a top-down raglan cardigan. Then I decided that was going to be too heavy and just not right, so I frogged it.
Then it was going to be the Union Square pullover, but then I decided that I so rarely wear pullover sweaters anymore, it would be a lot of boring work for very little reward.
Now, it's going to be this. It'll be a significantly heavier shawl than the pattern describes, because the yarn's a bit heavier. But I sort of love the idea of a big, black, alpaca cozy wrap, even as it starts to get warmer, and less cozy wrap-weather-like, outside.
The second thing I have on needles right now is a totally reconstructed version of the hex coat, which I started last fall. It was far too big and long and wrong. So I frogged the whole damn thing, which was a pain in the tuchus, because I'd knit a bunch of the hexagons AND started the process of weaving in the ends before deciding it wasn't working.
But, I did it. And I reknit the body all in one piece, cutting WAY back on the size, like this would be an XXXXS according to the pattern as written (OK, a slight exaggeration).
I think I'm happy with the length and the size, generally. It'll be kind of an open jacket in the end, which is what I wanted in the first place. I should perhaps have made it a touch larger, but I think I'm going to decide that I need to trip my hips a bit, which is totally a fact, instead.
I've got three more hexagons to knit, and then I have to tackle the sleeves. That does require a little tackling, mostly because I have to do a little calculating before I do them. Particularly for the sleeve cap. I hate refiguring out sleeve caps, because the geometry of how the armscye and the sleeve cap fit together is not entirely straightforward.
But, tackle it I will. Yeehaw! Math ahead!